Thursday, March 15, 2012

Origin Now Offers Sega Games


http://www.techpowerup.com/162385/SEGA-to-Offer-Top-Games-on-Origin.html

Kind of mixed feelings about Origin right now.  On the one hand, more competition for digital delivery is always better.  On the other hand, I love Steam, and I don’t like having my library fractured into disparate silos (I get odd amounts of joy out of being able to see the rankings of the amount of time I play on my various games and seeing what games I have spent the most time playing).

What I don’t understand is how come the DRM/DD service (Steam, Origin, GOG) hasn’t already been decoupled from where you purchase the game.  Seems to me, you should be able to buy the game anywhere, get a product code, and activate it anywhere with the DRM service you prefer.  Right now, I am passing up sales at Origin and Amazon DD (for instance) because they don’t activate on Steam - sales I would have otherwise bit on.  If the publisher just had a list of approved DRM services where its code could be activated and the DRM service got some payment if it activated on their site, I think everyone would be happy.  And it would force the DRM services to then compete for those dollars by offering better services.

My general stance towards Origin has been that I am going to wait them out as long as I can.  I bought BF3 from them, because I fell in love with the tech.  They’ve got a lot of sexy games (for instance) though that I will eventually want to play (provided I can ever reduce my Steam backlog).  I am hoping (perhaps futilely) that they will wise up and allow older games back on Steam (after a year or so after release). For now, I am quite content to play my Steam games though.

No comments:

Post a Comment