Saturday, March 17, 2012

Faithful Core Gamers and the Rise of Mobile Gaming (Cont’d)


Expanding on my previous post here.  I have put together a chart that I think helps explain the gaming community by the markets they are in.







Please forgive the caricatures, but I thought they got to the point I intended to make.

Now what I think we see in the market frequently is the flirtation of the general population (i.e. the left hand of the chart) with gaming.  Because of the sheer size of that market of people that don’t regularly game, whenever a technology comes along that however briefly captures the attention of the general population with regards to games, developers and publishers wet their pants and lick their lips over the potential market.  In the last decade, the technology that did that was the Wii.  In this decade, it seems to be smartphones and tablets and currently, those are having a meteoric rise in sales to the point that you have people all over discussing a post-PC world (but that’s another post altogether).

I am not going to babble on incoherently about knowing that this is a similar flash in the pan experience to the Wii (I am sure I will do that in another post), but it certainly feels that way to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment