Saturday, March 17, 2012

Is Bioware Losing its Mojo?


Just like many of you, some of my favorite games have been made by Bioware.  Dragon Age: Origins sticks out to me as one of the best games of the last several years.  And obviously, the old Baldur’s Gates were fantastic.

However, with the stink over the Mass Effect 3 ending, and the failure of Dragon Age II, is it time to question whether Bioware is losing its edge?  Now of course, I am glossing over two things:  first, Star Wars: TOR was launched and by all accounts seems to be pretty decent (1.7 million people can’t be wrong!), and Mass Effect 3 for all the handwringing about the ending has had solid reviews from professional sites, so maybe I am getting ahead of myself.  Still, I can’t help but think that they are showing some cracks in the façade.  My cynical guess would be that EA is coming down hard on them to push out more content faster and that is contributing to unpolished products more recently.  I suppose time will tell, but I do hope Dragon Age III bucks the trend because I am really looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment